Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old White Chippy Table....What Was It????

Okay blogging friends...I need your help!

I bought this odd little table at a flea market at least 15 years ago.
I liked it because it was different and I planned to use it on my front porch as a plant holder.

I did put a clay pot with a plant in it for years and other 'stuff' on the bottom shelf.  I have since moved it into the house. (It's a cloudy day and too dark for pictures so back outside it went for this and of course I set it down crooked!!!)
There is obviously something missing in the upper right and left of the top shelf.
 It's too small to be a wash stand. It's only 31" high, 18" wide and 11" deep. I forgot to measure the hole but I'm guessing about 6" across.

I love the chippy white paint but you cannot touch it without chunks falling off. Years ago I sprayed it with some sort of clear sealer but it really didn't help at all. I considered just taking off the old paint and painting it white and age it but I really like the original look best.

So my question to you, dear bloggers....is.... What Is It? Or what was it in it's past life?

And how can I 'preserve' it the way it is???
What can I use to spray or paint over this and make the old paint stay stuck!

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!
When I get it ready I'll post it again looking all nice the way it should be....

Linking to;
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Common Ground for Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

16 comments:

  1. Could it be a child's washstand? Very fun piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have said a child's washstand also. Rare piece. Don't let that one get away from you.
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may possibly have been a smoke stand. The ashtray would have gone in the middle, and the missing pieces could be the cigarette and match holders. Whatever it was, I love the weathered finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here I come for a visit and I have no clue! Good thing you have other friends. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casting my vote for washstand. Perfect for a bowl in the top and a pitcher down below. Whatever it is, it's charming, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful wash bowl stand to me.

    Happy new follower from White Wednesday.

    Laura/ImSoVintage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool piece and I have no idea!!
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a little wash stand, too. It's sweet and I love the idea of a plant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I say washstand and the places on the left and right were where a mirror was attached. My Dad has one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How interesting! I was also thinking of a child's wash stand. It looks fantastic as it is, sadly I have no idea how to retain the original paint, have you got a local furniture restorer type person near you who might be able to advise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I am with a lot of the others, it looks like a wash stand to me - Not sure what you can do about the chippy paint - except scrape it all off and start anew!
    Good luck!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm...it sure it cute...if you like it the way it is I'd leave it alone (and try not to touch it!) otherwise, I would scrape all of the loose paint off and then see what you have to work with.
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thought was also a child's wash stand, but it's an amazing piece! thanks for sharing it on VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking it's a washstand -- the original bowl and pitcher? The bowl would have had a small enough "bottom" to fit snugly in the hole, the pitcher on the bottom shelf, and a swivel mirror probably was attached in those "missing" spots.

    A towel could have hung off that back rung, too.

    It's 31 inches high -- table height -- so that's not too high for a washstand in a small bedroom, because you bend over the bowl to splash your face -- a washstand can't be too high.

    And people were shorter a couple of generations ago.

    Cass
    PS as for finishing it -- I think it's going to be very hard to preserve the current finish without ending up with it all flaking off at inconvenient times and places -- My only suggestion is to gently wirebrush off the loose paint, until you have only the paint left that is firmly attached, and then putting a clear coat over that.

    But the finish you are seeing is probably not original, either -- it could have been a lousy paint job from 60 years ago, and maybe deserves to be replaced!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it looks like a little washstand too- but whatever it is - it is absolutely darling!! Love the chippiness... I am not sure about sealing it either. Hopefully someone else will know. Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How unique that would be to be a child's washstand. That is what I would think too. What a great finish on it. Thanks for linking it up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!