Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vintage Frilly Prom Dresses

1950's prom dresses...




The first garage sale I hit last Saturday appeared to be a dud...until I walked way back into the garage and I spotted the pink dress! Then the white dress behind it. No price to be found, I asked...while holding my breath....hoping they would be reasonable...the woman said how about $5 each! YES! I grabbed them and they never left my arms until they were safely in my car!

I started talking to the woman and found out she wore these dresses when she was young. The white was her prom dress and the pink was for some other event which I forgot the name, I had never heard of it. I have an idea the pink was worn when she was a little younger. She said they are from the late 50's, her name is Dee.

I love the pink dress! I was such a tomboy when I was younger...I wouldn't have been caught dead in a dress like this...I even told her that...I told her they will be well taken care of and she knew I was extremely happy to now own them.


How about this white strapless number. I can't imagine that I was ever THAT size !!!!

And the big pink bow on the back of the pink dress! Love that!

I can just imagine how proud and excited she was wearing these dresses...I wish I had asked her if she had a picture of her wearing the pink dress...

Close up of the detail on the white dress...

The layers of ruffles underneath....

The pink dress is especially frilly...

I'm just thrilled to have found these and I'll find a place to display the pink dress...maybe hanging in front of that wall I've been working on and posting about....

Thanks for stopping by!


Linking to these wonderful parties...

Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
My Romantic Home for show and Tell Friday
How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

41 comments:

Kelly said...

What treasures!!! So gorgeous.


Kelly

Tete said...

Oh, what a find and they are both so pretty. Wish I could fit into them again, :)... those days are gone!
Enjoy your new treasures!
Hugs- Tete

Suzann said...

They are both so beautiful!! Lucky you for finding them!!!
Suzann ~xoxo~

sissie said...

I would have wrestled you down for those girl! LOL!

I love them. Rachel Ashwell would be jealous.

hugs
Sissie

stefanie said...

soooooo lucky!!!!!

Atelier de Charo said...

Both are so beautiful!!!

Hugs
Charo

victoriantailor said...

Hi Faye, These are precious, what a great find, I'm jealous! Celeste, victoriantailor.com

KarenSue said...

OMGoodness! I'm on the hunt for vintage prom dresses..
You did great! I did just buy one at The Farm Chick Show and I didn't pay $5.00 either! I wish!
Good job....

KAT said...

what great find! this pink one really is so wonderful ...makes me yearn for the old days
KAT

A Cottage Muse said...

Oh Faye...these are stunning!! Finding a frilly beauty like those is on my must have list!!

Butterbean Row said...

Faye,
What treasures you found. I wish that I had kept my prom dresses. They were so much prettier than the ones out today.

The Smith Hotel said...

Those are lovely! What a great find and fun to get to talk to the lady that actually wore them!

Jody

Foolproofed Vintage said...

That pink dress is darling :)

outjunking said...

I think this is fabulous.
Lisa

saltbox treasures said...

Beautiful finds!!!
~ Julie

Jann Olson said...

What a find! Love both of them. I always pick up vintage clothing at garage sales and add them to my dress up closet. the grandies love them. I gave my old prom dresses to charity when we moved into our 2nd home. I regret that now.

Denise said...

WOW! What a bargain! I love both of them. You just don't see treasures like that around here much any more. I think everyone is kind of aware of the trend and prices at garage sales just aren't what they used to be.

Angela said...

You are so lucky to find such nice dresses with all those pretty details.
oxxo
Angela.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my goodness--these are simply gorgeous!! What amazing treasures!!!
XO
Cindy

Nook & Cranny said...

Great find. LOve the pink dress and the yellow flowers on the white dress.
Have a great weekend.
Michele

Nancy said...

Both are so beautiful! I'm visiting from Pink Saturday and just had to click when I saw the pink frilly dress! So pretty!

Olivia said...

Oh, I am just in heaven over the moon for these.
Hugs,
Olivai

thestonerabbit said...

You hit the jackpot with those amazing dresses!!!

I wore a pink ruffled one like that to a dance when I was a Sr. in HS. My mom later sold the dress at a yard sale...our next door neighbor bought it. She made bathroom curtains out of it!!!

Enjoy your finds and Happy Pink Saturday! dana

mypinkprettiesaboutme said...

I am so jealous. What a great find.

HPS

LL

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Love and adore those amazingly sweet vintage dresses!!

LV said...

Both of these pretty dresses would make any lady proud to wear. I never had one that looked like that.

Marydon said...

What a fabulous find, Faye. They are just gorgeous, I remember the days..........
Have a beautiful PS weekend.
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

BluBabesCreate said...

I want those dresses so bad!

mercedesscott said...

What wonderful finds! You must have walked out of that sale with a big smile on your face... they are both so frilly and pretty! Happy Pink Saturday :)

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Wow, what great dresses! I am on the hunt for a nice pink one too!

Debbie

Lorraine said...

Such lovely treasures, and how special that you got to meet the wearer!

Dogmom Diva said...

Faye, love your name, it was my grandmother's name..and love those vintage dresses..thank you for sharing!

Barb

Queen of Dreamsz said...

Hi Faye,

I love, love that pink prom dress and what deal!!

Pink Sparkles for your week,
Stephanie ♥

Lululiz said...

Oh my, all that pink frothiness is just too delicious. The pink dress has got to be my favourite.

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

fabulous finds ! I scored three, one pink, one blue and one lavender.
There is just something so romantic about the vintage, frilly dresses.
(())

D.E. said...

Lovely post! Blessings DE

Sherry said...

Faye, These are wonderful! What a great find. Rachel Ashwell has a pic or two of vintage dresses in one of her early books. Very good find! Thanks for linking it up at HSH!
Sherry

Debbie said...

These (especially that pink one) remind me of the dresses my own mom wore in the fifties. As a little girl, I thought they were the most beautiful things in the world. (Her name is "Dee" too!)

michele at hellolovelyinc said...

SCORE!

i love em and am dreaming of hitting a similar sale....sigh.

come visit anytime.

michele

Connie said...

These are beautiful. Wow! They remind of all the gorgeous dresses my Mom use to sew. The attic full of fabulous gowns was burnt when a fire destroyed the family home. I sure miss them ...

The Shop Around the Corner said...

Oh, they're so pretty, Faye. What a bargain. I'm wondering if the event you could not remember may have been a Sadie Hawkins dance...girl invites boy, very popular in the 50's. Anywho, both dresses are dreamy and I love the picture on Beverly's page.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy pinks again!
Marcia