Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Vintage Frilly Prom Dresses

1950's prom dresses...




The first garage sale I hit last Saturday appeared to be a dud...until I walked way back into the garage and I spotted the pink dress! Then the white dress behind it. No price to be found, I asked...while holding my breath....hoping they would be reasonable...the woman said how about $5 each! YES! I grabbed them and they never left my arms until they were safely in my car!

I started talking to the woman and found out she wore these dresses when she was young. The white was her prom dress and the pink was for some other event which I forgot the name, I had never heard of it. I have an idea the pink was worn when she was a little younger. She said they are from the late 50's, her name is Dee.

I love the pink dress! I was such a tomboy when I was younger...I wouldn't have been caught dead in a dress like this...I even told her that...I told her they will be well taken care of and she knew I was extremely happy to now own them.


How about this white strapless number. I can't imagine that I was ever THAT size !!!!

And the big pink bow on the back of the pink dress! Love that!

I can just imagine how proud and excited she was wearing these dresses...I wish I had asked her if she had a picture of her wearing the pink dress...

Close up of the detail on the white dress...

The layers of ruffles underneath....

The pink dress is especially frilly...

I'm just thrilled to have found these and I'll find a place to display the pink dress...maybe hanging in front of that wall I've been working on and posting about....

Thanks for stopping by!


Linking to these wonderful parties...

Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
My Romantic Home for show and Tell Friday
How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday

41 comments:

  1. What treasures!!! So gorgeous.


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a find and they are both so pretty. Wish I could fit into them again, :)... those days are gone!
    Enjoy your new treasures!
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both so beautiful!! Lucky you for finding them!!!
    Suzann ~xoxo~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have wrestled you down for those girl! LOL!

    I love them. Rachel Ashwell would be jealous.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are so beautiful!!!

    Hugs
    Charo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faye, These are precious, what a great find, I'm jealous! Celeste, victoriantailor.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness! I'm on the hunt for vintage prom dresses..
    You did great! I did just buy one at The Farm Chick Show and I didn't pay $5.00 either! I wish!
    Good job....

    ReplyDelete
  8. what great find! this pink one really is so wonderful ...makes me yearn for the old days
    KAT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Faye...these are stunning!! Finding a frilly beauty like those is on my must have list!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Faye,
    What treasures you found. I wish that I had kept my prom dresses. They were so much prettier than the ones out today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are lovely! What a great find and fun to get to talk to the lady that actually wore them!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a find! Love both of them. I always pick up vintage clothing at garage sales and add them to my dress up closet. the grandies love them. I gave my old prom dresses to charity when we moved into our 2nd home. I regret that now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! What a bargain! I love both of them. You just don't see treasures like that around here much any more. I think everyone is kind of aware of the trend and prices at garage sales just aren't what they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so lucky to find such nice dresses with all those pretty details.
    oxxo
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness--these are simply gorgeous!! What amazing treasures!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great find. LOve the pink dress and the yellow flowers on the white dress.
    Have a great weekend.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both are so beautiful! I'm visiting from Pink Saturday and just had to click when I saw the pink frilly dress! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I am just in heaven over the moon for these.
    Hugs,
    Olivai

    ReplyDelete
  19. You hit the jackpot with those amazing dresses!!!

    I wore a pink ruffled one like that to a dance when I was a Sr. in HS. My mom later sold the dress at a yard sale...our next door neighbor bought it. She made bathroom curtains out of it!!!

    Enjoy your finds and Happy Pink Saturday! dana

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so jealous. What a great find.

    HPS

    LL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love and adore those amazingly sweet vintage dresses!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of these pretty dresses would make any lady proud to wear. I never had one that looked like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous find, Faye. They are just gorgeous, I remember the days..........
    Have a beautiful PS weekend.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  24. What wonderful finds! You must have walked out of that sale with a big smile on your face... they are both so frilly and pretty! Happy Pink Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what great dresses! I am on the hunt for a nice pink one too!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such lovely treasures, and how special that you got to meet the wearer!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Faye, love your name, it was my grandmother's name..and love those vintage dresses..thank you for sharing!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Faye,

    I love, love that pink prom dress and what deal!!

    Pink Sparkles for your week,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my, all that pink frothiness is just too delicious. The pink dress has got to be my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  30. fabulous finds ! I scored three, one pink, one blue and one lavender.
    There is just something so romantic about the vintage, frilly dresses.
    (())

    ReplyDelete
  31. Faye, These are wonderful! What a great find. Rachel Ashwell has a pic or two of vintage dresses in one of her early books. Very good find! Thanks for linking it up at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  32. These (especially that pink one) remind me of the dresses my own mom wore in the fifties. As a little girl, I thought they were the most beautiful things in the world. (Her name is "Dee" too!)

    ReplyDelete
  33. SCORE!

    i love em and am dreaming of hitting a similar sale....sigh.

    come visit anytime.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  34. These are beautiful. Wow! They remind of all the gorgeous dresses my Mom use to sew. The attic full of fabulous gowns was burnt when a fire destroyed the family home. I sure miss them ...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, they're so pretty, Faye. What a bargain. I'm wondering if the event you could not remember may have been a Sadie Hawkins dance...girl invites boy, very popular in the 50's. Anywho, both dresses are dreamy and I love the picture on Beverly's page.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy pinks again!
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!