Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Friday, April 25, 2014

Fresh veggies and visiting reptiles

This may not be an interesting post to most people but I just have to say how much fun I'm having picking veggies from my little garden every evening.

I used to have a huge garden and canned and froze everything. That was when my husband still had the old farm house. Then we moved into the woods in 1989. We designed and had a house built and were so proud that we only took down 2 oak trees. Now I wish we had taken down a lot more.
It's way too dark and shady for a garden and I miss it terribly.


So please bare with me as I brag talk about my tiny veggie garden!


Then onto the native plants and "things"


I love prickly pear flowers and they're in full bloom now.


I can never take enough pictures, that delicate flower against those spiky thorns


And a warning here...If you hate reptiles do not go any further, I don't want to offend anyone but this is life in the desert especially when you are out in the country, seriously IN the desert.

This big fat lizard was eating my petunia flowers!!!
He's at least 12" long and almost scary he's so big, my cat will chase the small lizards but she stays away from this guy.
I hope he doesn't find a way into my veggie garden, I think he'd eat all the lettuce!


And a King snake came to visit this morning, he's outside the snake proof fence and he's a good snake. He eats other snakes including rattlers and is immune to their venom.
I WANT these here!
I have yet to see a rattler so maybe this is why!
(his head is to the right of that rock and hard to see)


I saw a beautiful Hooded Oriole this morning off the front porch but I didn't have my camera with me!

Anyway, that's' life in the desert!

Thanks for visiting!

6 comments:

  1. Living in FL we had lots of lizards, too. They are not so bad but I don't like snakes of any kind. Glad your garden is doing so nicely- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome flowers...beautiful. Not sure I would like seeing snakes around my place.

    Beautiful veggies...so much better tasting when you grow your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your title for the post! I'm not much for snakes. I've been known to avoid entire portions of my yard for the rest of the summer if I see a snake in it. So far so good this year though. I love seeing all the cacti flowers. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I love veggie posts,as I too have a small plot for veggies and just love picking dinner each night and sometimes lunch. It gives me so much pleasure to think it isn't drenched in pesticides.
    I don't mind lizards,but snakes,ugggh. We get brown snakes here but mainly down near the beach and they are deadly. I woundn't mind having some of those snake eating snakes here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggies look fantastic, and so healthy. The cactus flower reminds me of a tree peony flower, only much smaller. Beautiful! I'm not so good with snakes and lizards, interesting, but hopefully, at a distance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUNSHINE, veggies and reptiles, life is GOOD :) You aren't missing anything here in MN! COLD & RAIN today :(
    Thanks for the birthday wishes!
    When you coming to MN?
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!