Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shelf and Rose Plates

I found this old shelf at a thrift store last year. It was spray painted a dark brown so I sanded and sanded and painted it a nice white (I wish I had taken a before picture of the shelf). I love the curves and lines.




I thought it would be a good place to display my rose dishes and cups and I do like it but after taking pictures and seeing them on the computer, it looks a little plain.



I have more plates that are larger than the plates on the shelf and I was thinking I would use plate hangers to hang them on the wall around the shelf in the order below.
I thought about putting a couple of larger plates on the shelf but then I would be overlapping them and I'd like to see the entire plate. 
What do you think?
I've been looking at this for months and, as usual, I can't decide.
If I do this, I think I need one more larger plate in place of that smaller one on the lower left.


Our weather has been so perfect for the last 4 days I just had to make a trip to the garden center for some impatiens and I found 2 beautiful peonies.


This one is called Sea Shell, I think it's gorgeous, the picture doesn't do it justice at all.
The fragrance is divine and it's a large flower.


And one soft pretty pink peony to replace the one that never blooms.
I love peonies.

Thanks for stopping by...
Linking to;
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Faith, Grace, Crafts for Pearls and Lace Thursday
The Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday



13 comments:

  1. Faye, your little vintage shelf looks absolutely perfect. I would try draping some nice old lace on the edge of the shelves. Maybe you need to add something else on that bare wall. A nice round mirror with wooden frame or other suitable frame for interest and the rest of your plates i plate hangers like you said.

    I don't see the space surrounding the shelves but maybe if you had a piece of furniture under the shelves. Something like a nice little dresser that you could put something else on, a nice vase or bouquet, a green trailing plant like perhaps an English Ivy for example or other plant suitable for the lighting. It would take away the starkness a bit perhaps.

    I shouldn't advise you as I'm not a decorator but it was just spark of an idea.

    It always takes time for me to get something that works but I find that green plants always add that touch of freshness to a space. It can be changes at will.

    JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of adding a touch of green. I love your idea of plates around the shelf and think 4 of the same size is a good idea and the bird one on top like you have it.
    Have FUN!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shelf looks beautiful painted white, Faye! You have so many pretty pieces, I know you will find an arrangement you love...sometimes I have to live with things for awhile to figure it out, too! LOVE your kitten shelf in your last post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful !!!...love Ria...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually like those dark shelves painted a lighter color too. I don't think your shelf looks plain...one larger plate (more decorated with lots of color) in the middle will draw your eye right to the top, I'll bet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous just as it is. Love the curves. No way this girl is PLAIN. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute Faye!
    I had a few of these at the white show and they got scooped right up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shelf does have lovely lines, Faye. Even before I got to that section of your post, I was thinking that surrounding the shelf with other plates on the wall would add interest.

    And you might want to try layering your dishes. Even though it does obscure some of the design, it usually looks quite pretty arranged that way.

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week. It's always a pleasure to have you. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. That shelf is so pretty just the way it is, Faye! If you feel it is lacking something, then you should go with your heart. You always set up such wonderful displays.
    Enjoy!
    xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shelf is absolutely to die for. The lines of the shelf and your gorgeous dishes on it complement both the shelf and the dishes. I think also that plates around the shelf will be very pretty as long as they're bigger than the saucers on the shelf. What a gorgeous tableau to look at. I'd sure love to have that shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a beautiful shelf....I'd love to have it.....and you have a lovely arrangement......I have a feeling that one day soon you will come across the perfect piece to complement what you have already and immediately you will know in your heart when you spot it that it's the finishing touch. Good luck in the hunt....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so cute! Such a great "shabby chic" piece :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a shelf just like this my friend and I love love love it! I knew those dishes were for BONES but I've nevah evah used them for that! HAHAHAH

    Love your sweet blog!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!