Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Birch Bark

One of my favorite things besides chippy white paint is Birch Bark.
As I was sitting in our screen porch I was admiring the Birch trees nearby and it dawned on me Birch Bark would make a good White Wednesday so I started thinking of what I have around the house that is made of or has Birch Bark on it.
A Birch tree...of course!

A little basket made of Birch Bark

Two little Birch Bark canoes that I've had since I was a kid. We'd spend some of our weekends at my Grandma's cabin on Bay Lake in Minnesota. I couldn't wait to stop at the souvenir shop in Milaca and that is where these two canoes came from. One still has the price written on it in pencil. It was .40 cents.

A birdhouse I picked up several years ago....showing it's age but it has Birch Bark on the roof. I thought it was a fun idea!

A little Birch Bark birdhouse nick nack...

And I saved my very favorite for last....this little old book in perfect shape that I picked up years ago in an antique store in Iowa. It was one of those finds that I clung onto dearly while looking around the shop. I don't know how many times while growing up that I heard my mother say "On the shores of Gitche Gumee....." I believe the Indian name for Lake Superior is Gitche Gumee (goo-me)...anyway...there is Birch Bark on the cover...back cover too!

Thanks for stopping by and please leave a comment....I enjoy reading each and evey one!

Thank you Kathleen for another White Wednesday! Please visit Kathleen at Faded Charm


9 comments:

  1. Love this post! Thanks for sharing!
    Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these birch barc things are so special, I especially like the bird houses!
    Sending you happy WW wishes from Germany
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I like Birch bark, too. Your pictures are fantastic. I really like the 2 little canoes and the fond memories that are attached to them.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Ann
    @
    The Tattered Tassel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love birch bark too and have a few things made from it. Sadly most of the birch trees in our area have died. I miss their chippy bark. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a tree that looses lots of bark-wonder what I could do with it-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your birch bark. This has got to be a WW first.
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book is just so sweet! Your blog is lovely ~ I'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post...I love birch bark, and your birdhouses are adorable!

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!