Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Handmade Eyelet Lace

This handmade eyelet lace is amazing. To think someone long ago, perhaps a young girl, marked this strip of cotton fabric with a lead pencil, punched holes through the fabric with this tool which appears to bone. She then took teeny tiny stitches all around each opening to form eyelet lace is hard to imagine.

The strip measures 46" and she only had a quarter of it left to do...

I wonder what happened...

Why did she stop...

I can crochet with some pretty fine thread but this is way beyond my patience!

The strip is only 1-1/2" across and the design is about 3/4" at its widest.
The bone tool was with the lace when I found it.

Thanks for stopping!

Linking with Faded Charm for White Wednesday.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you! This is truly awesome. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing. We don't often think about all the work that went into old handmade lace...this makes it apparent. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AMAZING, where did you get it? I really think a piece of this framed would be wonderful. Maybe with a quote about patience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing to see how it was done years ago. Wouldn't this be awesome placed in a shadowbox so one would see the 'story' anytime and a great way to display this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Blog! I am SO glad you have solved a mystery for me! I have one of those bone tools and did not know that is what it was for making this eyelet lace.. What a treasure to have found it with a length of the lace unfinished! I think I would frame them together in a small shadowbox. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!