Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I need a name!!!!

An unexpected treasure!
Last Saturday I took a day off, Mr. Wild and I stopped in one of my favorite local antique shops in a small Mississippi River town. Way in the back of the store was a new vendor with a couple of dress forms.

I've always wanted one but never planned to buy a vintage one until I saw this one!

She was very reasonably priced, clean and straight, a few small holes that look like moth holes in the fabric but being at least 80 years old, who wouldn't be a little moth-y!

 I cannot get a good picture of her pretty rhinestone brooch but you sort of can see it...

And a crochet edged shawl...


She has nice cast iron feet with some detail, which of course again doesn't show up very well.


Mr. Wild dug out an old 1936 Sears catalog and found a similar dress form in there


I thought it might be interesting to see a picture of the catalog page. It's so close, mine is an Acme but they have the same old heavy cast iron base (the one with the skirt has the fancy legs in the catalog) that tells me she has to be from the 30's.

Look at that price....$6.75!!!

I also found one of those little wood sewing boxes in the upper left corner many years ago, same exact thing as in this catalog...although I did not pay .89 cents for it!

Now I have a way to display and enjoy looking at my frilly 1950's prom dress!
But she needs a name and I can't decide....it's has to be old fashioned like Lydia or Emily, I had two great Aunt's... Dora and Hilde....still thinking....

Thanks for stopping!

Linking to;
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday


19 comments:

  1. Fantastic find! She's gorgeous :) How about Ava?
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks like a Delores to me - feminine, yet strong. Good find! I'm trying to figure out how to "age" my modern dress form...any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is really in good shape for as old as it is, great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I like the name Pearl...or how about Pearl Rose?!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Doris. She is in great shape and she has maintained her girlish figure too! Great find!
    ~cathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you! I would love to find an old dress form! How about Lola?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Olivia would be a wonderful name for her.
    She is lovely.
    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful !! call her Rose....just like your blog....love from me...xxx..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this same dress form that I got for $2.50 at a garage sale. I got another one FREE at a garage sale but gave it to my friend. I covered mine with book pages and it turned out great. Probably the easiest way to see it is to go the my blog and look for my post last month on my newly painted master and you will see her. Don't you just love them. It's like having a doll all over again to dress and undress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great treasure. You'll have so much fun dressing her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous dress form. They are hard to find, so good for you.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a find and in great condition too! Lucky you.

    How about Lenore...don't tell anyone, it's my middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a find. She is beautiful! Let's see, my old Aunts were named Lydia, Cora, Emma, Laura, Mabel, Dorthea, Hazel, Zola, ... to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I love the price on that dress form... How about Tasha. I was just reading about Tasha Tudor earlier. She love living in the past. Maybe this could be her second chance. JB

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great find! I bought one recently at HOme Goods, believe it or not. she is not vintage, but I can dress her like one. I picked Marjorie for mine. It was my moms name. I like the name Rose or Rosemary. Have fun with her!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is a beauty Faye!
    Hmmm...how 'bout Marilla...just like in Anne of Green Gables!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have one just like her too. Thanks for helping me date her. I put my wedding dress on her even if it doesn't zip in the back (she's a big girl!) I call her Bertha but I think Agatha is pretty too. Should probably be Bette after Bette Davis!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucky you! I have a self-made dressform, created 30 years ago! I still use it. I call mine La Signora!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!