Welcome to my blog about things I love to collect, refinishing furniture and decorating using flea market finds (with a few crochet projects now and then).Thanks so much for visiting!




Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Weekend Road Trip Along the Mississippi River

A couple of Saturdays ago, when it was cool and raining, we took a ride along the Mississippi River in Wisconsin. There used to be several little antique shops along the way, all we found was one still in business called Oldstuff in Bay City (teeny little town).
A retired couple own the shop, he carves horses and horse heads and mans the shop while she hits the estate sales several times a week.


Now I am going to show what little I know...I have seen these little dishes many times but I never knew what they were used for. I figured something on a vanity but this makes so much more sense!

They are bone dishes! They are placed alongside the dinner plate to throw bones on, the curve fits around the side of the dinner plate. Why don't we do that now!!! How many times have I eaten chicken or fish and had to leave the bones on my plate...it bugs me!

I love the crazing and aging.


I couldn't walk away from this little green transferware dish (for a couple of dollars) great for holding old mother of pearl buttons.


  A sweet little child's mug pretty well worn off but still so cute and a shaving mug.
Now the man in the shop said women used shaving mugs too, that they shaved their legs back then...does anyone know if that's true? I always thought shaving mugs from years ago were for men only.
He said the women wanted pretty mugs...


I had to have this pretty pink bowl and at the bottom of a basket of old linens I found this beautiful pure silk and lace night cap with 2 little silk ribbon roses... $2!



The prices were good in this little shop and I definitely
  would go back a few more times this summer. It's such a pretty ride along the river.
We had a fun day in this little shop, actually, we shopped there twice! Since there were no antique shops further south we came back and took a second look!
Thanks for stopping!

Linking to;
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Faded Charm for White Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
The Brambleberry Cottage for Time Travel Thursday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

14 comments:

  1. twice is nice! :) I love your bone dishes. They are great for all holding all kinds of things and your night cap is so special! HWW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed at the nice things you can find on your antique trips. I love that bowl of mother of pearl buttons too. The bone dish is a great find, I never saw this before.

    Have a great long weekend. JB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely finds, Faye! I have some of the bone dishes, too and never knew what they were either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finds. I think we should have bone dishes now, too. Or at least a little bucket that everyone can throw them in.
    Love the night cap and yes, ladies did use the shaving mugs, the pretty ones. The rather plan ones were for men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful finds...I am always telling my family(all men, I have 3 grown sons and Hubby makes 4), that I need bone dishes. I always put a bowl on the table BUT they are stubborn and I'm the only one who uses it...One day I will find the perfect size bone dishes to cradle our plates. I agree, I don't know WHY they don't make these still. I don't know about the shaving mugs being for women(although it's a nice thought). I just think that all the beautiful dishes of yesteryear were VERY FRILLY and what we call today feminine, BUT look at the way the guys DRESSED in the 1700 and 1800. They were VERY FEMININE in attire too. So I'm thinking they LOVED these mugs just like they are!
    Love all your finds.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faye ~ love the bone dishes, we have lots of pretty ones in the shop and now I know exactly what they are, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bone dishes too! I have a few and they are so pretty. Have a wonderful weekend, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I didn't know those were bone dishes. I just learned something new. Fun finds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We use bone dishes here. It's so nice not to have our plates holding chicken bones...ick!
    You found some nice pieces, Faye.
    LOVE the shaving mugs.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I had no idea about the bone plates. What a wonderful idea! My mother used to set out a plate on the table for all of us to put our bones on. You found some delightful treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never knew they were bone dishes either! Makes perfect sense. Hope you're having a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your finds. Thanks for the info on the bone dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your dishes and the info about the bone plates. I need some of those - lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finds! I love any transferware!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you!