I seem to collect old mother of pearl buttons, whenever I see them I have to add them to my stash.
I've sewn since I can remember so it's fitting for me to have a button lamp shade in my sewing room.
I found an older lampshade at the thrift store for $4.
Rip off the existing fabric from the lamp shade. I forgot to take a picture of that step but it's super easy to tear off.
Using unbleached muslin, rip strips approximately 1" to 1 1/2" (no need to be precise here, just eyeball it)
Trim off the selvage ends. Using tacky glue, secure an end to the wire shade and begin wrapping the muslin strip. I only used a small amount to glue at the beginning and the end of each strip, the tacky glue adheres well.
I'm not fussy at all while wrapping other than making sure the frayed edges are exposed most of the time.
The shade all wrapped and ready for buttons and wire.
Using a fine gauge wire (of course that's back in MN, when I get back there I'll add the gauge here), cut off a piece of wire approximately 3" longer on each end to accommodate wrapping it around the lamp shade.
I used 2 hole vintage mother of pearl buttons. Slide the wire through one hole of the button and then the next, be careful not to crimp the wire, it will weaken it and it will break. Do this step carefully and take your time.
Once I have enough buttons on a piece of wire I attach it to the top hoop of the shade. I placed 2 button wires in between each lamp shade wire. Evenly space the button wires and wrap the wire around the lamp shade a few times, finish by twisting a small amount of wire around itself.
At the bottom of the shade wrap the wire once, just to secure it.
Using a needle nose pliers give the wire a slight and gentle tug to tighten, then continue to wrap in the same manner as the top hoop. Trim off ends of wire.
As luck would have it, I went back to the same thrift store and found this glass lamp. I wasn't sure at first if I liked it or hated it but it was cheap so I brought it home.
The shade fit it perfectly and I love how the whole vignette turned out!
The Edison bulb was the finishing touch!
Thanks for stopping!